Monday, August 28, 2006

Update time!

-I am in my apartment! The main rooms are clean and organized and pretty sparse, which means I’m ready to go shopping to fill up the empty spaces!

I love all the sliding-doors and the light that comes in!

-I bought a car! I’m just waiting for it to be ready for me to pick up, which may be tomorrow! It’s a Toyota Corrola xLi, with 1.8 liter engine, white, with a spoiler… so many people here have Toyotas, and the resale value is really high, which will be great for me in a few years!

-School is in full swing! My middle school students are wonderful! I teach one math class in each grade and am also the “math coordinator” which means I do things like correlate the curriculum and the standards (read: I get to make a spreadsheet!), organize our supplies, run meetings, communicate with the principal and the curriculum person, etc. It’s going to be challenging but interesting and I have time worked into my day to work on it, which is why I’m only teaching three sections of math – which, incidentally, is so much fun! It feels really good to get back into teaching.

-The settling in phase and the hot weather haven’t allowed me to see too many interesting sights yet, except for some fabulous malls. Oh, I even found a Caribou Coffee! It’s waaaay across town but I’ll have to make my way over there once in awhile!


Really, that’s about it.

Kind of boring right now.

Sorry.

I’ll try to be more exciting next time. But let me leave you with a story of how things go here:

At the car dealership, Richard and I, paying for our cars. I go see my man. He keeps answering his phone and it takes a good half-hour to accomplish a 10-minute task. I go to where Richard is talking to his guy. I figure I’ll wait and share a cab with him, it can’t take too long, right?

Wrong.

Three phones blinging and beeping on the desk (2 cells and a landline) result in multiple phone conversations. He leaves to go talk to someone. A group of people come over and talk to him, he answers his phone some more. Someone else needs his attention on the other side of the showroom. When Richard goes to the cashier to get a receipt, the guy takes his mobile and goes on a smoke break! 45 minutes later, we leave. Ridiculous. But somehow hilarious….

No comments: